Friday, September 14, 2007

Biting the big one...

No, I'm not dead (even though I'm sure some of you were wondering due to my lack of posting). In this case the big one is me buying my first home. BUT, before that let's recap the last month.

Great August long weekend in Montana. Went down again a week later with Luke, Ben, and Ang to do some mountain biking. That was cut short when Luke tried a wakeboarding trick that he was totally unqualified for (JK) and kneed himself in the face. After 10 stitches and an evening at the hospital we retired to beersbie and sailing for the next few days. On Aug 17th teed off in Whitefish for Nevin's stag. A lot of fun, no (more) major injuries (just some puke). Noel and I have parted ways. She's back up in Edmonton for another exciting year at the U of A (yeah, I miss that place). Peter is making his first appearance up there, starting in science with the intention of getting into medicine. I'll update you later on how he takes to living with Grandma. We all seem to be different so far.

This week has been pretty crazy physically. I've played hockey, ultimate frisbee, 3 games of volleyball, and finished it up with squash last night after work. Yup, body is barely holding together. It's allowed me to meet some pretty cool people. There's a lot of young people working at ConocoPhillips now. We are the future. (BTW, the Corporate Challenge theme this year is the Great White North, hence the hockey jerseys at a volleyball game)

Anyway, the big news. Tuesday night I put in an offer on a townhouse in Evergreen. It's in Calgary's very southwest and is about 6 blocks south of where I lived with Nevin and Kyla. There were a couple of counteroffers but we came to an agreement pretty quick on Wednesday and now I just have to get past a couple of conditions (financing, review of condo documents) by next Tuesday.

I don't want to say too much about it just yet since I think that would be better accompanied by some pictures but I'll give some details. Brand new, doesn't even have all the closet doors on it yet. Single car garage, two bedrooms with ensuite bathrooms and closets, hardwood main floor, finished basement. I'm clost to a lot of good stuff like parks, grocery store, drug store, um...liquor store. It's just a really nice area and it'll make getting down to Nanton or Montana very easy.

I'm picking up my parents tonight from the airport. They've been in Costa Rica for a couple weeks getting the place furnished with Teresa's help. I'm really excited now about everything that's happening. Can't wait to tell you all more. Right now I just got invited to lunch so I have to start busting my ass for an hour or so. Going to hang out at the Core Research Center on the U of C campus for the afternoon.

Just as a final question, anyone have some advice for me on buying my first house? I'm still a bit freaked out, wouldn't mind a few pointers or even words of encouragement.

2 Comments:

At 9/24/2007 10:56 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have shocked all your friends into silence. Not to worry. I still check every day to see what is new with you.

 
At 9/26/2007 7:33 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

I check every day too, even though I still see you nearly every day!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home